We hereby invite you to contribute with your scientific articles to the quality of the forthcoming Special Issue of the Journal of the Geographical Institute “Jovan Cvijić” SASA (WoS IF2022: 1.2 and Scopus: Q2) dedicated to the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the First Congress of the Slavic Geographers and Ethnographers.
The First Congress of the Slavic Geographers and Ethnographers was held in Prague from the 4th to the 8th of June 1924, under the patronage of Tomáš Masaryk, the President of the Republic of Czechoslovakia. Due to his international reputation, the academician Jovan Cvijić was elected as the first honorary president of the Congress. At that first meeting, the aims of geographical and ethnographical research were set. Thus, the work of the Slavic geographers continued after Cvijić’s death, with the organization of the Congresses in Poland (1927), the Kingdom of Yugoslavia (1930), and the Kingdom of Bulgaria (1936). Besides the authors from the Slavic countries, researchers from other countries (Great Britain, France, Italy, the USA, etc.) also provided their support through their participation. However, after the Second World War, with the change of socio-political circumstances, the organization of this traditional pan-Slavic scientific event ceased. Therefore, bearing in mind the scientific contribution of these gatherings, a decision was made to initiate a special (thematic) issue.
The following list provides some examples of topics of interest but is not limited to:
- Contemporary natural processes and their significance for the population (climate changes, contemporary achievements in fighting floods, torrents, landslides, earthquakes, forest fires, etc.);
- Population geography (regional population density, migrations, diaspora, age, gender, religion, education structure, anthropogeographic research);
- Economic development perspectives and their impact on the population (natural resources, including food and water production, markets, infrastructure);
- Geopolitical issues and their impact on the population (crisis hotspots, international relations, development strategies, predictive models);
- Cultural collaboration and tourism affirmation (cultural-historical heritage, valorization).
In accordance with all the abovementioned, and regarding the fact that this anniversary should be marked adequately, we have decided to invite all the interested authors (geographers, anthropogeographers, historians, sociologists, economists, ethnographers, etc.), as well as researchers from other related social and natural sciences, and humanities.
The introduction article dedicated to this topic, related to the retrospection of the previous congresses, can be seen on the official journal website.
Authors should use this template to prepare their manuscripts. The instructions for authors are the same as for the regular volumes of the Journal of Geographical Institute “Jovan Cvijić” SASA. Manuscripts in English (MS Word in .docx format) should be delivered to the Editorial Board in online form via email .
Submission Deadline: October 1, 2024.
Note: The articles which exclusively relate to the daily political and social events will not be taken into consideration.
Guest editors of the Special Issue of the Journal of the Geographical Institute “Jovan Cvijić” SASA:
Dr. Stefan Denda
Geographical Institute “Jovan Cvijić” SASA, Belgrade, Serbia
Dr. Gaëlle Hallair
CNRS UMR Géographie-Cités, Paris, France
Previous Conference Proceedings
Date: October 20, 2023
Source: Geographical Institute “Jovan Cvijić” SASA, Belgrade, Serbia